David,
If this group has religious duties to pray due East or due West then that religion must halso have the means to determine that direction, you see that in any culture in the world. So I wonder how they found those directions before.
It is more or less the same question I had earlier (and still have): how did the ancient people at the building of Stonehenge find the equinoxes?
Thibaud Chabot