Malcolm McClure responded to M. Jacquelin Hardy's questions
about building an anlemmatic dial:

>I am still thinking about this one, but hope the following suggestions will
>help. (Corrections to logic gratefully received)
> I have seen a photo of a wall mounted analemmatic sundial at Greenwich. It
>has a fixed perpendicular rod about a meter long at the top, with a
>sun-shaped cutout piece of metal welded on the end. This disc has a central
>hole about a centimeter in diameter, which acts as the style.
>The analemma is painted on the south-facing wall beneath, such that the top

The logic is fine, as far as I could tell, Malcolm, but I think
you're describing a different type of dial. The vertical dial
you outlined seems to be equivalent to a "conventional" dial,
with the hour lines drawn as analemmas (..ae?), to correct for
declination and EoTime.

The one Hardy is asking about is quite unconventional, compared
to a horizontal dial, or it's vertical cousins. This type of
dial, if you look down on it from above, is layed out as roughly
half of an ellipse, with the major axis running East-West, and the
half-minor axis pointing North (in the N hemisphere!). The gnomon
is not parallel to the Earth's axis, but is a vertical pole placed
on the N-S center line, and moved N and S a small amount each day.
The "pointer" is the shadow of the top of the gnomon, and falls
on the elliptical perimeter to mark the hours. In large garden
or monumental versions, the gnomon is often designed to be the
user, who stands on date markers.

I don't have any references here at work, but I believe Waugh
did a good workup on this design. I'll see what I can find,
this evening.

Dave
[EMAIL PROTECTED]