I'm translating an early 17th-century italian text describing
a social event at Rome that took place in the evening
and lasted "into the seventh hour of the night."  i'm
taking this to mean that it lasted seven hours after
sunset.
this makes sense to me because, among other reasons,
"italian hours" (as on a sundial, if i understand this
correctly) measure the progress of the day in numbered
hours beginning at sunset.
does anyone have a better interpretation?  thanks.  -jml
--
Jim Lattis                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]     "What's so amazing that
Director, UW Space Place   voice: 608-263-0360    keeps us stargazing, and