Dear Friends,
Many of you will know the fine Manor House Museum in Bury St Edmunds with its excellent collection of Clocks, Watches, Portable Sundials, Paintings and Fabrics.

A proposal to close this museum has just been made by Bury Council (to save money! of course) and a final decision is to be made 13 December 2005.  This is a very short time for objections to be received.

If you know this museum and/or its fine collections then please write as soon as possible in the hope that it can be saved.  Foreign friends should particularly get involved to show International support for this important World-Class Museum.  Under the present proposals the best that can happen is that the collection will be squeezed into one third of its present space with many items going into storage.

At the very least we should ask the Council to defer a final decision until everyone has been consulted and other options have been considered.  A period of 3 weeks is not adequate.  I would suggest the end of 2006 at the earliest.

Further details of these proposals can be found on the Council Website at www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk

You should write to Mike Dawson, St Edmundsbury Borough Council, Borough Offices, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, IP33 1XB, UK.  or by email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] as soon as possible.

I have a single page review document of this proposal that I can send you on request.

Please pass this information on to anyone who you think will be interested in saving this fine and friendly Museum.

Thanks for Your kind support,
Mike Cowham
Cambridge.