John et al,

>I heard that you can't laser cut stainless steel because the light reflects
>back into the machine and it either doesn't cut or it doesn't cut well.  Is
>that true?

Not true at all I'm afraid.  Look at the polar bear gnomon on my
Longyearbyen sundial which was laser cut from S316 stainless steel 16mm
thick, although I *think* it was cut from both side simultaneously.

Similarly the 24 stainless steel hourmarkers on the analemmatic dial I
made for Brock's Hill Park in Oadby, Leicester, were laser cut from 6mm
stainless steel. Seventeen daylight hours are complex sun-in-flames
shapes with seven star shapes for the dark hours.  The clients wanted the
aesthetic completeness of the whole ellipse.

Tony M.