"Frank King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Thursday, March 16, 2006
7:49 AM
Subject: Rods versus Knife-Edges

> > > It seems to me it would work, but I can't see any
> > > advantages over a cylindrical gnomon.
> >
> > I just tried the shadows of a knife edge and of a
> > 3/4" diameter rod and they look about equally sharp.
> > I should do a more careful experiment, but to first
> > order, it appears to be true.
>
> Indeed so, at equal distances you get equal fuzz, but
> this misses the main point...
>
>   With a rod you can readily estimate the centre of
>   the shadow ignoring the (approximately equal) fuzz
>   on either side.  With a knife edge you have to
>   estimate where in the fuzz is the true centre-line
>   of the shadow of the edge.  This is error prone
>   and, to some extent, subjective.
>
> I say `spare the rod and spoil the sundial'.
>
> Frank King
> Cambridge, U.K.

My original point: that the shadows of the edges of a polygon and of a
cylinder are equally usable. Frank makes the different point that better
than any edge is two edges close together: either the shadow of a narrow
slit or of a thin gnomon. The human eye is much better at judging its centre
than of judging a single edge. A shadow sharpener might help even things up,
but it's an awkward solution.

But narrow slits and thin gnomons have physical problems. There will
certainly be places where only a fat gnomon can be used. And whether its
edges are rounded or sharp makes no real difference. One might imagine it
easier to make an accurate square section than a cylinder, but I doubt it.
There may be aesthetic or design reasons why you want a square section, but
I don't see a functional one.

Chris Lusby Taylor
Newbury, U.K.
51.4N 1.3W