From: "John Carmichael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Sundial List" <sundial@uni-koeln.de>
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 5:32 PM
Subject: Re: Conical Gnomon Advantages

I love these discussions that make you want to jump up from your computer,
and rush outside to conduct an experiment!

I used a CD & white foamboard and I indeed saw the false ellipse of the
projected solar image.  Holding a 1/16" thick disk with a 1/4" hole about 3
ft. from the board and parallel to it, the fuzziness of the CD's perimeter
shadow was very pronounced and the solar projection image was a long
ellipse.  As I rotated this arrangement, keeping the CD parallel, the solar
image did disappear when the sun was almost edge on. (due to the thickness
of the disk).  So at these angles, the aperature nodus won't function. A
conical gnomon won't do that.  I compared the image of a conical gnomon (a
plumbob) at the same distance, and I think it is easier to read.

I love the shadow cast by a plumbob. It is so dramatic and visible.  If you
have a plumbob, check it out for yourself.  They are cheap and come in
different sizes and shapes.  Almost all of them have a threaded cap for
attaching the string.  But you can remove and discard the cap and use the
threads to attach it to a threaded rod which you can mount to the sundial
face.   Google: "brass plumb bobs".  Also try: " "weathervane finials"

Many thanks to all that have witten and for the drawings you sent.

John C.