Dear Mike,

Gee, what amazing sundials.  I particularly enjoyed (!)
what you so eloquently list as Crap_002.jpg (with the
cat and mice).  These sundials, or at least your snaps
of them, are ideal for showing at lectures.  You can
say: `OK, now you understand sundials, see how many
mistakes can you find in these in two minutes!'

I looked at your poems page.  By chance, I spent the
first three afternoons of this week assessing a sundial
exercise I set to 465 first-year scientists.  Some of
the candidates included little poems in their write-ups.
[Don't ask me why!]

These were mostly pretty poor but one, from a guy
at Queens' College (noted for its moon dial), lent
itself to heavy editing and comes out like this:

       An applicant visiting Queens'
       said I simply can't tell what it means.
          The sundial says seven,
          Yet it's just on eleven.
       Oh what a mistake to choose Queens'.

If you want to attribute this to anyone, you could say
`Inspired by Oliver Shortle of Queens' College.'  The
limerick illustrates the difficulties faced by a novice
user of a moon dial.

I regard moon dials as the strangest of curiosities.
If you need to tell the time at night, use a nocturnal!

Frank King