----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: Door Knocker Gnomon?

Dave Bell just suggested changing the gnomon to the center finger instead of the index finger for an added message to unwanted visitors. (if you are the reclusive type and hate visitors.)

You could also have the hand holding something that has a ball or a point.  Like a fountain pen.  The tip of the pen would be the nodus.  When the hand is just hanging there, it would look like is was drawing the sundial.

Wouldn't a monumental horizontal look neat if it had a giant arm with a sculpted hand with a pointing finger. Are there any sundials that have sculpted hand gnomons I wonder?

Hi John & list:
  If you go to Mike Shaw's page http://www.wiz.to/sundials/  and click on "more favorites" I think that the Sir Isaac Newton dial shown there us using the index finger as a gnomon with the "book" as the dial.

Dave G.