We have had many discussions on this list on how to determine the
declination of a vertical wall. Let me suggest a new technique for not only
wall declination but also location (latitude and longitude). Use the
satellite images on "Google Earth". An example is posted in three PowerPoint
slides at:
http://www3.telus.net/public/rtbailey/WalkingShadow/WallDecG.ppt

For my "Timelines" presentation, I was interested in analysing sundials on
mosques in Istanbul. When I took pictures of the three sundials on the New
Mosque "Yeni Camii", I did not take field measurements to determine the wall
declination. No problem. Start up Google Earth and fly to Istanbul. Without
rotating, just using the X/Y controls, zero in on the New Mosque and save
the image. You can insert the saved image into a PowerPoint presentation,
add the North South vertical axis, draw a line along the wall and determine
the wall declination, perpendicular to the wall.

Then start up Zon 2000 and enter the latitude and wall declination from the
Google image into Fer de Vries program. Calculate for the example sundial:
local hours, Italian hours and Islamic Prayer times. Clip the Zon drawing,
save it as a dxf file and load the dxf file into Delta Cad. There you can
trim the lines to recreate the dial on the wall. Select all and copy the
lines as an overlay on the photograph (corrected for perspective) in your
presentation.

The Google Earth technique is sufficiently accurate with large buildings and
high resolution images. I have used it successfully for three mosques in
Istanbul and the Klementinum in Prague. It even works for my home! The full
story will be shown in Vancouver.

A conclusion from this analysis is the sundials on the mosques in Istanbul
show the mid afternoon prayer time "Asr" as in the standard horizontal
shadow length definition. But a different convention was used in Istanbul
for "Zuhr", the prayer just after noon. The Zuhr lines are not based on the
altitude giving the horizontal shadow length as the noon shadow length + 25%
of the vertical gnomon height.

Regards,

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 48:38:22.90, W 123:24:10.80, declining east 90 degrees by Google Earth