Sunny Day,

I don't know how important it is, but I have a site showing the development
of a monumental sundial located in my community that I was the project
leader for.  It was a millennium project.  There are many photos that show
the construction of all the various parts of the sundial; gnomon, dial
plate, hour lines, hour markers, etc.  For example, one very interesting
task was the placement of the 1200+ pound granite blocks that border the
dial plate.  I made dozens of ice discs using ice cream pails.  Each granite
block was placed on 3 of these ice discs.  This allowed the machine operator
to set the block down, remove the forks or straps and adjust the position of
the granite as the ice melted.  This technique worked very well.

Prior to the construction of this sundial I knew nothing about the design
and operation of a real sundial.  Our library brought in a few books for me
and I did a lot of searching on the internet.  I had many volunteers help
with construction and fundraising efforts.  The sundial is now a focal point
and tourist attraction for our town.

I invite you to come and visit the Pinawa Heritage Sundial.  I am very proud
to have had the opportunity to be involved in this project.  You can get
there via:

www.mysundial.ca

Happy Dialling!

Carl Sabanski