Dear Colin

> In the description of the dials, one is said to be in french
> hours ...  Are these the same as equal hours?

Roger Bailey has already confirmed your guess.  You will rarely
hear English-speaking diallists using the term French Hours but
Italian diallists (gnomonisti) refer to `ore francesi' quite
commonly.

Intriguingly, ordinary Italians do not know this term.  If you
ask a non-dialling Italian about ore francesi you will get a
blank look.  This is not surprising.  Few non-diallists in
the English-speaking world ever use the term `equal hours'.

You can read about Italian hours and French Hours (and just a
hint about what makes them French!) in my frivolous spoof in:

        http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/fhk1/Maggiore.pdf

Frank King
Cambridge, U.K.