John Carmichael wrote to the Sundial List:

-------------
Hi Fer and Hendrik:

I know I speak for everyone at the NASS Conference that we were all very impressed with the Mean Time Cone Gnomon Dial that you helped Hendrik Hollander to develop.  Congratulations to Hendrik for winning the Sawyer Dialing Prize this year. What a surprise.  I knew of Hendrik for his previous work with etched glass and acrylic dials, but I don't think anybody else knew of him.   It caused a great deal of interest at the NASS Conference since none of us had ever heard about Hendrik or his new dial before. We loved the fact that it looks like a simple ordinary dial with straight hour lines, yet it tells Mean Time because it has a tilted cone gnomon. Fred kept saying that he wished that he had thought of it.  Now that's a compliment!!!  We are all anxious to read more about it in the next issue of The Compendium.

Afterwards, Roger Bailey and I discussed ..........

John Carmichael

At first my help with this dial only was for some tests afterwards. The idea is by Hendrik after reading pubilcations about "Compressed Gnomonic Sundials" by Fred Sawyer.

Many of the readers of the list perhaps won't understand what is a "Mean Time Cone Gnomon Dial".

You may read some of it and see an example of the dial at our website.
Look for News and then use the link to the september article.
This article is already on the website.
More will be published in coming bulletins.

Best wishes, Fer.

Fer J. de Vries

Eindhoven, Netherlands
lat.  51:30 N      long.  5:30 E