Dear Mac,

Fer de Vries has answered your question but he could be
misinterpreted...

> Of course you are right that an Italian hour and a
> Suntime hour aren't of the same length each day.
> But we are talking about 30/24 second of time per
> hour as maximum...

This is true if you take 24 hours as the time between
successive transits, but the difference can be MUCH
greater if you take 24 hours as the time between
successive sunsets...

The maximum difference depends on your latitude.
Where I am at 52 degrees north the difference can
be nearly THREE minutes either side of 24 hours
measured on a watch.  A sundial CAN certainly
notice that.

At the equator, sunset is at 6pm (by the sun) every
day so Italian hours don't change any more than
astronomical hours.

Inside the arctic circle things go mad!  On some
magic date (again depending on latitude) you
experience a sunset that is the last you are
going to have for some weeks or even months.

Italian hours are not well defined then but, if
you insist on deeming an Italian hour to be one
24th of the time between successive sunsets, then
an Italian hour can last several days!

In summary: Italian hours are rather boring in
the Tropics and go mad near the poles.  They are
at their most interesting somewhere in between
like, ahem, in Italy!

I think it is most unlikely that, when the famous
Italian explorer Umberto Nobile was making his
expeditions to the Arctic, he used Italian hours!

Frank