Dear Chris, Bill & all,

I can add some information, based on my article on the Genk cone dial in
the Bulletin of the Dutch Sundial Society, May 2005.

Javier Moreno Bores mentioned the relationship between conventional hour
lines and Bab. & Ital. hour lines already in his article in the NASS
Compendium 5(2), June 1998.

The beautiful minimalistic sundial Chris mentioned is located in the
Spanish sundial town of Otos (some 70 km south of Valencia). It was made
by Joan Olivares (gnomonics) and Andreu Alfaro (artwork). A picture can
be found at: http://www.ruralotos.com/ruta_rellotges.htm.

Although it might look like an equatorial dial, it is in fact a
horizontal dial. The hours are indicated on the concrete base: numbers
for the even hours, points for the odd ones. The circle was mainly meant
as an artistic addition. It does serve a calendrical function, though:
at the equinox its shadow becomes a straight line.

By adding hour and half-hour lines, and Bab. & Ital. hour numbers, this
nice sculpture could be converted into a triple sundial!

Best regards,
Frans