Does anybody know if the four round blue dials on the tower at Westminster
Abbey in London are made of porcelain (vitreous enamel)?

p.s. by the way, does anybody have good photos of these that we could use on
our Sundial Cupolas, Towers & Chimneys website?

From: JOHN DAVIS [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:55 AM
To: John Carmichael
Cc: 'Sundial List'
Subject: Re: Porcelain Sundials

Hi John and sundiallists everywhere,

You might be interested to know that Harriet James and I are currently
making a vitreous enamel on steel dial to replace an art-deco painted steel
dial on a private house.  The original iron scrollwork gnomon will be
reused.  The firm doing the enamelling are called Vitramet - they also did
the set of four large vertical towers dials I designed for Houghton Hall in
Norfolk.

During the BSS Cambridge Conference we all admired the set of 6 dials on the
Gate of Honour at Gonville & Caiuis College.  These were enamelled in the
1960s, I think, by a firm in Birmingham who seem to have disappeared now.

Regards,

John Davis

John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Frank (cc Sundial List):

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed seeing you and getting a chance
to talk with you at the conference, especially our discussions about the
possibility of using durable fired porcelain instead of paint for the
replacement of old deteriorated painted sundials.