Hello to the webmasters & photo buffs amongst us:

In this new age of High Definition Wide Screen Television and computer
monitors and high speed internet connections, more and more people will want
to see photos and movies in Wide Screen High Definition.  (Have you seen a
slide show on a large HDTV?  They are great!  And so convenient- a lot
easier that setting up a projection screen and a projector) I'm thinking
about providing access to hi def jpg. sundial photos on the websites that I
am involved with.  But I have a technical question about what resolution and
dpi settings I should use when resizing original photos using PhotoShop
Elements.

Ideally, the photo should completely fill the screen of the HDTV with no
black blank spaces on the sides.  Usually, the original photos I get are
taken with digital cameras set at the highest max resolution settings but
they do not have the correct wide screen aspect ratio.  They are shaped like
traditional photos with different aspect ratios (4" x  6", or 8" X 10", or
11" X 17", etc.) So to make them fit the screen, they need to be cropped.
(For artistic and copywrite reasons, I won't to do it to old photos, but it
could be done.)  Fortunately, most of the newer cameras have hi def wide
screen image size settings (16:9 aspect ratio).   So new photos can be
easily shot in wide screed hi def and don't need resizing or cropping.

In Photoshop, the resize tool lets you pick the image size (height x width
dimensions in pixels) and the document size (resolution in pixels/inch).
Modern digital cameras allow you to set the image size for widescreen hi def
viewing.  These photos measure 1920 x 1080 pixels and Photoshop says that
they have a resolution of 72 dpi.  So I assume that this is the ideal photo
size and resolution for viewing on a hi def monitor or TV.  Is this correct?

Until now, I have been resizing the website photos to a height of 900 pixels
at a resolution of 150 dpi.  Since the dpi is more than double the new
camera res of 72 dpi, even though the height is less, then couldn't I
increase the size of these photos to a height of 1080 and a dpi of 72
without loss of quality?

Any thoughts on this?

Thx

John

John L. Carmichael

Sundial Sculptures

925 E. Foothills Dr.

Tucson AZ 85718-4716

USA

Tel: 520-6961709

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My Websites:

(business) Sundial Sculptures: http://www.sundialsculptures.com
<http://www.sundialsculptures.com/>

(educational): Earth & Sky Equatorial Sundial:
http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Earth-Sky_Dial/

(educational) My Painted Wall Sundial:
http://www.advanceassociates.com/WallDial

(educational) Painted Wall Sundials:
http://advanceassociates.com/WallDial/PWS_Home.html

(educational) Stained Glass Sundials: http://www.stainedglasssundials.com
<http://www.stainedglasssundials.com/>

(educational) Sundial Cupolas, Towers & Chimneys:
http://StainedGlassSundials.com/CupolaSundial/index.html