Greetings, fellow dialists,
I think I am most of the way to finding a solution to the problem of the
divergence of great circle and rhumb line tracks in high latitudes. The
NavPac Compact Data 2006-2010 book, produced by H. M. Nautical Almanac
Office and published by TSO London (used to be The Stationery Office!)
ISBN 0 11 887331 8, includes a disc which calculates great circle and
rhumb line tracks using latitude and longitude. For both the rhumb line
and great circle tracks it will calculate up to 99 waypoints by interval
distance. These are only to the nearest 0.1 minute of latitude but
should be enough to produce a curve and an indication of the departure
of the great circle from the rhumb line.

To recap, in deciding the limits of an oil concession it should be made
clear whether the linking lines are rhumbs or great circles. Much may
depend on it, especially in high latitudes and more especially where
national boundaries are concerned. A few tens of metres can be
important, it seems.

Now, back to sundials :-) .
Frank, 55N 1W