Hello John,

Please treat this as a "letter to the editor" of the BSS Bulletin.

I was pleased to see the article by M. K. Head in the June 2007 BSS Bulletin
acquainting BSS members with "Sunrise and Sunset Hours on a Garden
Analemmatic Sundial". Seasonal Markers allow you to see when and where the
sun rises and sets. They are a useful addition to any analemmatic sundial.
Nothing in this world is perfect, except perhaps Lambert's Circles serving a
similar function. Mr. Head's article replicates the error analysis in the
original paper but I recommend that your readers have a look at the original
article. "Seasonal Markers for Analemmatic Sundials" was published in the
NASS Compendium, in Sept 2003 and in the NASS "Sourcebook for Analemmatic
Sundials" " Anyone is free to download the article at my personal website
www.walkingshadow.info. The picture on the home page shows an analemmatic
sundial in Calgary, Alberta with these seasonal markers. Follow the links to
Walking Shadows (Sundials) and click on #10 "Seasonal Markers for
Analemmatic Sundials" a 205 kb pdf file.

Helmut Sonderegger's program "Alemma" available at
http://web.utanet.at/sondereh/sun.htm is the best program I know of to
calculate these sundials and seasonal markers. But there is a difference of
opinion on minimizing error from Head, Sonderegger and Bailey. Head suggest
calculating the seasonal marker using the solstices. Unfortunately this  is
an extreme point. Sonderegger suggests using declination 20.2ยบ. This
minimizes error assuming a Gaussian normal distribution for that error. But
this error is not normal but harmonic. My recommendation is to calculate the
seasonal marker position for both extreme positions, the solstice and the
equinox* to define the range and selecting the average value in between as
the seasonal marker point. A disc with a diameter equal to the range
centered on the mid position makes a great seasonal marker. If instrumental
accuracy is required, use the correction epicycle outlined in the original
paper. This would allow you to set up a theodolite on the marker and use the
analemmatic sundial to show you exactly** when and where the sun rises and
sets.

* Not exactly the equinox due to zero and infinity problems. Use a
declination of 0.01. This is close enough for sundials.
** The usual cautions on refraction, semi-diameter and horizon apply.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 48.6 W 123.4