Hi all,

Roger is right. The width/height ratio of the computer display can
simply be changed by the manual controls below the screen. When sending
pictures, or placing pictures on a website, one cannot be sure that the
addressee or visitor sees what one intended him/her to see. However, the
dimensions should be correct when measured in pixels.

Now back to perspective correction. Let's say I take a (digital) photo
of a vertical dial up a wall. The location forces me to take an oblique
shot. Let's also say I am sure that the dial (or its frame or setting)
is rectangular, with horizontal and vertical edges. Now I would like to
reconstruct the view, as if I took the photo straight in front of the
center of the dial. That way I would be able to measure the substyle
angle, check the correctness of the hour lines, etc. Is there a
procedure that enables me to make such an exact reconstruction?

My graphic program Paint Shop Pro X has a 'perspective correction tool'.
I tested it as follows: I drew (in PSP) and printed a square of 150 mm
sides and a rectangle of 100 mm wide and 200 mm high. Then I took
oblique photos. The perspective correction tool produced rectangles
which were always too wide. The error varied between 2 and 7%, depending
on the amount of cropping applied beforehand.

If anyone would like to give it a try, the oblique photos in their
original size (1944 x 2592 pixels) can be found here. Only the contrast
has been enhanced.
square 150 mm (16 kB):
www.fransmaes.nl/sundials/perspective/square-150.gif
rectangle 100 x 200 mm (19 kB):