From: "J. Tallman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Chris Lusby Taylor'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 8:31 PM
Subject: RE: Monumental Sundial

Hi Chris and All,

Yesterday evening I was driving south on the interstate and saw a fabulous
sunset where the sun was incredibly magnified...even before it got right
down on the horizon. There were thin clouds that cut the light enough for me
to observe the disk, and it sure did look wide. How would an apparently
larger solar disk like that affect the gnomon/distance ratio and the shadow
width characteristics on a tubular polar style, say, with the resultant
shadow landing on the inside of an equinoctial ring where the receiving
surface is parallel to the gnomon? The dark umbral part of the shadow would
be diminished, right? I wonder if that effect should be factored in when
choosing the ratio to use in determining the optimum diameter of a tubular
gnomon?

Best,

Jim Tallman
www.artisanindustrials.com