MessageHans,

Not the story of a sun eclipse but of the moon eclipse of August 1617 is showed
on a beautiful sundial in Rufach, Alsace, France.

At that time and place the redish moon appeared above the surrounding mountains
and people paniced what had happened with the moon.

It was René Rohr who recalculated the story on the dial to confirm this moon
eclipse and he took care for the retoration of the dial in 1979.

A picture of the dial is for some time at:

http://www.de-zonnewijzerkring.nl/downloads/rufach.jpg

Best wishes, Fer.

Fer J. de Vries

De Zonnewijzerkring