Hello British Dialists in particular:

I received a letter awhile back from Mike Cowham. He searched through Eden &
Lloyd (Mrs Gatty) and found a few more references to six old Stained Glass
Sundials that we have never seen.  If any of you feel so inclined, you might
want to help us investigate these to find out if they still exist and to
acquire good photographs of them and any information about them.  Maybe some
of you live near these locations and might consider visiting them to see if
these dials are still there.

Here are the references from Gatty that he found:

65. AS THE SVNE RUNS SO DEATH COMES. W. L. 1683.

At Liberton House, Midlothian. The initials and arms are those of William
Little. The same motto was inscribed in 1892 on one of two window dials at
Inch House, on the Liberton estate.

458. I MARK ONLY THE SUNNY HOURS.

On a window dial for a south aspect, which was exhibited at a bazaar in
Crathie, and purchased, it is believed, for the Queen. Round the dial face
was a view in Siena, and below it the inscription: " This dyal was fashioned
by Oscar Patterson. The same being vitrarius and glass painter inne
Glasgowe, shewinge the tyme in this tovne." I MARK NONE BUT SUNNY IIOURS is
at Bournestream House, Wotton-under-Edge. The date of the house is 1614.

811. NON HORAS NUMERO NISI SERENAS.  I count no hours that are not bright.

On a horizontal dial in the flower-garden at Mount Quhanny, Fifeshire, and
also on a window dial designed by Mr. T. Ross at Inch House, Midlothian. See
No. 65.

917, ONLY AS I ABIDE IN THE LIGHT OF HEAVEN DO I FULFIL THE WILL OF MY
MAKER. 1895.

On a glass window dial at Charlesfield, Midlothian, placed there by H. B.
McCall, February, 1895.

1136. SENSIM SINE SENSU. Softly and no man knows.

Friston, or Bechyngton Place, now a farmhouse in a deep dell, has features
of antiquity, including a hall, the roof of which belongs to the fourteenth
century. In the great window is a sun-dial, with the fly painted on it, and
the motto given above (Lower's "History of Sussex," 1870, vol. i., p. 103).
the words are quoted from Cicero (3 Att. 15): "Sensim et sine sensu ætas
senescit."

1199. SINE LUMINE INANE. Without light all is useless.

Formerly on a finely-painted dial, south declining west, which was in a
window of the church of St. Benet Fink, Threadneedle Street, now destroyed.
The foundation of this church was very ancient, but it was rebuilt by Robert
Fink the elder in 1633, and after being burnt down, was again rebuilt in
1673. The following extract from the " Saint's Nosegay," by Mr. Samuel
Clark, minister of this church from 1642-66, may serve to illustrate the
motto: " If the sunne be wanting it will be night for all the stars; so if
the light of God's countenance be wanting, a man may sit in the shadow of
death for all the glyster of worldly contentment. As light continues not in
the house, but by its dependance on the sun: shut out that, and all the
light and beauty is presently gone: so we can see nothing but by the
constant supply of the spirit of Christ. Hee that begins must finish every
good work in us.