Hi John,

  It's quite common for old (and even not-so-old) photos to be inadvertently
printed in reverse. There was an example quite recently of a dial on a glass
lantern slide printed in reverse in the BSS Bulletin. And there is a modern
dialling book with a famous painting reversed...

  On the other hand, looking at a stained glass dial from the outside, even
when held up to the light, produces quite a different view to the proper inside
appearance, mainly due to the painting.

  So, for this case, I suggest that it it the picture that's reversed, not the
dial.

  Regards,

  John
  -------------------------------------

John Carmichael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
                Hi All (esp. John Davis, Mike Cowhan & David Brown):

  I just noticed something odd about the very famous stained glass sundial that
is known as “The Nun Appleton Dial”.  I don’t know why I never saw this before.
 It slipped by right me.

  Take a look at this graphic of two photographs:

http://www.advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Stained_Glass/sundials_files/Stained_Glass_Sundial_6.jpg

  On the left is a close-up color photo of the dial.  This photo, as with most
of our SGS photos, presumably shows the dial as it would have looked from
inside the building.  The inscriptions and numerals all look corrected and were
made to be read from the inside of the building.   On the right is old black &
white interior photo showing the dial as it was mounted in the transom above
the door.  But look at the dial.  It is backwards!

  Why is this?

  I’m thinking that it was incorrectly mounted in the transom.  It was mounted
in reverse.  But it just might be possible that it was mounted correctly and
that the old black and white photo is reversed!  I copied that photo from a
captured freeze frame still shot from an article by Hans Behrendt called "Alte
Englischen Fenstersonnenhren (II)" 1990.  Could it be possible that the
printers that Hans used might have accidentally reversed the photograph?

  Which leads me to ask if any of you ever saw this dial in its original
location above the door at Nun Appleton Hall, York, England.  If we could only
find another photograph or testimony from somebody who saw it.  It no longer is
there and I don’t know when it was removed.  It now resides in lightbox for
display at entrance to York Art Gallery.

  Can anybody help me solve this mystery?

  Thx

  John

  p.s.

  Here is the information we have on this dial:

  The Nun Appleton Dial
  Maker: Henry Gyles (1645-1709)