Very fine lines can be etched with an abrasive blaster.  Silicon carbide
is the best blasting material, but aluminum oxide (less expensive) also
works well.  I hire a sign maker to blast the granite (and occasionally
marble) stones for my Sawyer Equant sundials.  The lines are about .040"
wide and .005" deep, and paintfill nicely with the mask still in place.
The mask is a thin (sign) vinyl, cut on a signmaker's vinyl cutting
machine from an adobe illustrator file.  It costs about $40 per stone.
If you do it yourself, be meticulous about eye and lung protection --
This can be hazardous.  Photos on my website.

I'm sure you could also use a rotary dremel-like tool with an
inexpensive diamond ball bit.  John Carmichael engraves his stone dials
this way.  He gave a demonstration at his home a few years back, and
this method was very effective and did not appear too difficult.  He
glues the design right against the stone, and cuts right through the
paper (or vellum?).  He has a hose trickle water over the cutting
surface to cut down on dust and prolong tool life.  His website is
www.sundialsculptures.com

Bill Gottesman
www.precisionsundials.com