From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of JOHN DAVIS
Sent: 15 July 2008 14:08
To: John Goodman; sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: RE: Solar synchronizer (Andrew Pettit)

Dear colleagues,

You may be interested to know that the 3-D cam for the EoT mechanism
(looking like a piece of modern sculpture) was on show at the 2008 BSS
Conference at Latimer. A photograph of it is in the report of the conference
in the BSS Bulletin, 20(ii), June 2008.

Regards,

John Davis
----------------------------

John Goodman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The equation of time is not ignored by the Long Now clock. In one of
their FAQs they state:

> The clock is projected to be accurate to within one day every 20,000
> years, but just in case it isn't, a solar synchronizer will correct
> the time shown on the clockface. A lens on top of the clock will
> advance or retard the display by phase-locking to the local noontime
> sun. The digital mechanical design also allows the clock to adjust
> for leap days, leap years, leap centuries-even for the precession of
> the equinox

The mechanism for accommodating the EOT is described and pictured
here: http://www.longnow.org/press/articles/ArtSoftwareDev.php#sidebar

Dr J Davis
Flowton Dials