Hello Jos,

As you know the equation of time (EOT), which you measure, is a unique
function of three parameters:

1)      The tilt of the earth's axis towards the ecliptic

2)      The distance (or time) between the perihelion passage of the
earth (around Jan. 4th) and the spring equinox (around March 21st)

3)      The earth's eccentricity

Assuming that you measure the EOT and you know 1) and 2) you can find
the eccentricity by finding the best fit to your data. Theoretically you
need only 2 points on the EOT, but in practice you need of course a
large part of the EOT to get a good fit. Don't forget that you have to
correct you sundial time for the longitude of you dial before comparing
it to you watch.

In case the earth would orbit in a circle, the EoT would only be due to
the tilt of the earth's axis and the analemma would be a symmetric "8"
curve. The middle point of the "8" would be at the equinoxes. For me,
the 'symbolic', effect of the earth's eccentricity is therefore the
displacement of the middle point of the analemma towards positive
declination.

                                    Regards Werner