Dear Mario,

Many thanks for your kind explanation...

> Censorinus and Gellius citing Varro say that
> in Rome the day was intended in two ways: natural
> and civil.

I am slowly gaining some understanding of time in
ancient Rome.  Gianni Ferrari has pointed us at:

  http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Dies.html

This confirms what you say and refers to:

  dies naturalis  and  dies civilis

Can you tell me how the common people knew what
the time was?

If the Circus Maximus announced a good chariot race
next Friday, or the Colosseum announced a big fight
next Saturday, how would people arrive at the right
time?

Did a Praeter go through the streets ringing a bell?
Were there public klepshydras?  Were there sundials
on many buildings?

It is hard to understand how a big city could work
unless the citizens knew the time!

Best wishes

Frank