From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alex Botkin
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:38 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Temporary sundial

Hello to all,

I am contemplating a temporary sundial sculpture.  It will be in its
location for about two weeks maximum the last weeks of August.

Long -119.22
Lat 40.76

That's the middle of the Black Rock Nevada desert.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to even be considered an amateur, so apologize
in advance for the simplicity of my questions.

Could I erect a vertical gnomon  and mark the hours as they occur based on a
watch set to local time?  (The children's Plunger learning project suggested
this to me)

Would this maintain accurate mean time (+- 2-3 minutes) during the duration
of its service?

Using the coordinates, I have plotted a triangular gnomon (using the free
Shadows 3.0) .  If I kept the angle of the gnomon as plotted would I be able
to mark hours (as above ) ?

Thank you,
Alex