Hi all:

I can't get over all the letters and even phone calls I've received from you
all.  What a bunch of great smart and kind people!

I'm leaning to the idea of inserting a slightly smaller square tube inside
the round tube, then welding it to the outer round tube at both ends.
Several guys suggested this.  It makes sense.

They say to weld the inner square tube so that one of the corners of the
square tube is at the top and not a flat side on top.  This also makes
sense.

Everybody seems to agree on the following:

1. Tubes are less bendable than solid rods

2. Tubes are less expensive than rods

3. Filling the tube with cement won't help and might make things worse.

4. Wider diameter tubes are stronger than thinner tubes

5. Thick tube walls help prevent bending. (one person suggested that the
tube wall thickness be .125 inch minimum)

I've learned a lot from this discussion.  Hope it helps some of you with
your future projects too.

Thanks everybody!

John

John L. Carmichael

Sundial Sculptures

925 E. Foothills Dr.

Tucson AZ 85718-4716

USA

Tel: 520-6961709

Email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My Websites:

(business) Sundial Sculptures: http://www.sundialsculptures.com
<http://www.sundialsculptures.com/>

(educational) Chinook Trail Sundial:
http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/COSprings/

(educational) Earth & Sky Equatorial Sundial:
http://advanceassociates.com/Sundials/Earth-Sky_Dial/

(educational) My Painted Wall Sundial:
http://www.advanceassociates.com/WallDial

(educational) Painted Wall Sundials:
http://advanceassociates.com/WallDial/PWS_Home.html

(educational) Stained Glass Sundials: http://www.stainedglasssundials.com
<http://www.stainedglasssundials.com/>

(educational) Sundial Cupolas, Towers & Turrets:
http://StainedGlassSundials.com/CupolaSundial/index.html