From: Roger Bailey <rtbai...@telus.net>
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Sent: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 3:43 am
Subject: Translucence

You may think, as?I did, that white marble is an ideal base material?for a
sundial. The rock is relatively easy to engrave; the white surface should
provide good contrast for the shadow.

?

This is not necessarily so. I found from tests with a prototype that the
translucence of marble, that wonderful milky quality so favoured by sculptors,
does not show high contrast shadows. The light from the bright areas seems to
diffuse to the shaded zone and the shadow contrast can be greatly reduced. The
effect is similar to the shadow formed on a hazy day when thin clouds diffuse
the sunlight.

?

My prototype was a marble tile, 30 cm square, 1 cm thick. I could see the
outline of my hand through the rock. One side was polished and glossy, the
other a rough matte finish. The glossy surface of the translucent material did
not show high contrast shadows even in bright sunlight. The matte finish was
significantly better but still the contrast was lower that the shadow of a
white piece of paper. The prototype was a sunset sundial and the shadows
approaching sunset tend to be diffused. The translucent base made them
invisible.

?

This experiment reminded me of a previous experience with stainless steel.
Again the shadow contrast on the shiny surface was poor. Shiny and translucent?
Both are bad for shadow contrast.

?

Regards,

?