Saxon dials have only been found, as far as I know, on church or monastery
buildings.  This is understandable as their design was to show the tides, for
governing church offices.  But is there any evidence that they could also have
been used on domestic buildings?  If so, like the buildings they would have
been of wood and would not survive.  Or does anyone have a view on what
function a domestic dial might have had at those times, and hence how likely it
is?  (Possibly to warn people of the approach of service-time; or to agree a
meeting - See you all at Ofanverthr-dagr!)

I ask on behalf of a Saxon group thinking of putting one on a reconstructed
Long Hall.

Regards,

John