Hi Alexei & all,

Interesting, yes. If only because the dial doesn't work properly. At
least, not always. Around the equinox, a sharp-edged shadow is cast on
both sides of the strip, perpendicular to the strip's axis, and the hour
marks are correct. Towards the solstices, the shadow boundary on one
side gets oblique and fuzzy, whereas the edge on the other side shifts
away from the correct position. The deviation is some 25 minutes at
most. John Moir observed this in a model, made from a wide elastic
strip, and reported the results in the Bulletin of the British Sundial
Society, nr. 95.1.

See also www.fransmaes.nl/sundials, click "Sundials??" in the menu.

Best regards,
Frans Maes