Th. Taudin Chabot wrote:
> Richard,
>
> We have been thinking in the Netherlands of doing the same. But....
> Google is too good! Many owners fear even the publishing of an address
> as a kind of invitation for people who would like to 'borrow' their
> sundial from the garden.
> For that reason we don't make the register available to the /general
> /public.
> If you can find the sundial using Google Earth you can even identify
> whether you should take the route to the backgarden, where the sundial
> is located, from the front or from the back of the house.
> If there would be a possibility to limit the zoom-in function a
> publishing through Google Earth could be considdered. (like Google
> Earth is somtimes doing with military objects)
>
> Thibaud Taudin Chabot ( I maintain the Dutch sundial database)

In my project for the BSS website (currently password protected while it
is under development) I have now set a limit for how far people can zoom
in - this is currently set on my Kent example so that the scale bar is
1000 ft. or 200m.  It is even possible to set different limits for
maximum and minimum resolution for each of the different views (e.g.
map, satellite, hybrid or terrain views)

--
Richard Mallett
Eaton Bray, Dunstable