From: JOHN DAVIS
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:03 AM
To: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Dutch sundial

      Dear colleagues (especially in the Netherlands)

      Can anyone tell me anything about the sundial referred to in this extract
from a tourist website:

       Follow the canal to the right until just after Kattenhage, where you can
escape the city’s post-war urbanity in the Prinsenhoftuin (Princes’ Court
Gardens), originally designed in 1625 with a rose garden and covered paths.
When in bloom, the fragrant roses make it impossible not to linger, especially
when the Theeschenkerij Tea Hut inside the garden tempts you to order a cup of
tea (€0.80) and lounge in the sun or under one of the canopied underpasses.
(Tea hut open M-F 10am-6pm, Sa-Su noon-6pm.) On your way out, ponder the advice
of the Latin inscription on the sundial above the entrance: Tempus praeteritum
nihil. Futurum incertum. Praesens instabile. Cave ne perdas hoc tuum (“The past
is nothing, the future uncertain, the present unstable; ensure that you do not
lose this time, which is yours alone”).

      The Latin motto also appears (slightly shortened) on two English double
horizontal dials by Thomas Tuttell.

      Thanks in anticipation!

      John

      Dr J Davis