From: sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de]on
Behalf Of Valentin Hristov
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:25 AM
To: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: New DeltaCad macros

Dear sundial friends,

I want to announce that two new DeltaCad macro files for use in the
Northern hemisphere are put on my page (go almost to its bottom)

www.math.bas.bg/complan/valhrist/mystuff.htm.

I am very grateful to Carl Sabanski for giving me the idea of these
macros.

StarSun.bas is an extension of my previous macro StarClck.bas with much
more stars (900) and the positions of the Sun among them for every date
in the year (the ecliptic). This allows to find the time if you know the
azimuth or the height of the sun, and vice versa, if you know the time,
you can find the azimuth and the height of the sun. You have to print
the two layers separately (the one with the azimuth-height grid on a
transparent one).

Please, read instructions for use in the beginning of the file.

StarSunZ.bas is as the previous macro file with added drawings of the
zodiacal constellations ("Z" for zodiac). In such a way the construction
resembles an astrolabe with only 15 constellations drawn. Principally, I
can continue drawing the missing constellations, but this is a boring
work. Therefore I put in the .zip file an auxiliary file StarSunT.bas.
It shows the line numbers of all stars in the file stars.dat and these
numbers are used in the file conlines.dat to indicate all segments in
the drawings of the constellations.

If someone is enthusiastic to continue drawing more constellations, I
can share my experience in personal e-mail messages. As an example, the
"belt" of Orion (seen at the celestial equator labeled 0 in the lower
part between 5 and 6 hrs) consists of stars numbered 46, 27, 72
(the numbers are seen after enlarging) and the two segments connecting
them can be described in conlines.dat simply as two lines
46      27
27      72

Let me note that you have to keep the files stars.dat and conlines.dat
in the same directory with the macro files StarSun.bas, StarSunZ.bas and
StarSunT.bas.

Hope you will enjoy the new macros.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Best wishes and more sunny days!

Valentin

P.S. Let me mention that you can use a drawn protractor for measuring
the height of the sun from my previous macro "Sun position" (az-ht.bas).