---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Bargalló <bargallorob...@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/9/17
Subject: Direct reading time.
To: Robert Bargalló <bargallorob...@gmail.com>

Hello All,
When an inexperienced person examine a well constructed Sundial, often
underestimate the instrument because it is not marking the official time and
having to make some “antipathetic” corrections of the indicated time. That
is the main reason we have built a sundial that gives civil time accurately,
enough to adjust the minute a non solar clock that it has stopped. In a
word, in our quadrant needless resort to the equation of time or to the
local position versus the Meridian corresponding to the time zone. No
arithmetic corrections are needed.

Descriptively, the device is a horizontal sundial with a gnomon consisting
in thin thread nylon. The mechanism presents a 48 teeth gear, powered by an
endless screw, which allows the entire clock to rotate some degrees around
an axis parallel to the Earth rotation axis (around the gnomon). In other
words, the mobile set plays like a hypothetical sundial indicating the exact
civil time is elsewhere, in another position but in the same geographic
parallel. As to the accuracy, the quadrant presents marks of all the minutes
from the 5 h 45 a.m. until the 8 h 15 p.m. The single need featuring the
device is that one or twice a week requires adjusts a rotatable knob to
indicate the current date. This disc, of course, acts on the endless screw
and, for that reason, on the rotation.

Really, the rotation movement compensates not only the equation of the time,
but also the error caused for the geographic longitude position of the
instrument.

For the same method we can use the sundial giving 3 types of time: the local
solar time, the standard time, or the daylight savings.
Since we installed it, from November 2006 to date, it has indicated time
with an error that in no case exceeded one minute.
Happy Dialling!

Robert Bargalló
More information at next
blog<http://totdestriant.blogspot.com/2008/05/rellotge-de-sol-til.html>