  From: John Carmichael
  To: 'Th. Taudin Chabot' ; sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
  Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:57 AM
  Subject: RE: A stained glas projection dial?

  I know this isn't like your projection dials Thibaud, but one can have a
sundial without any hour or date lines at all.  I call these "Moment Dials" for
lack better name. (Is there an official gnomonic name for these John Davis?).
These are perhaps the simplest of all dials.  They are simply a nodus whose
shadow, or projected beam of light,  indicates a specific time on a specific
date. I saw a couple of them in old churches in Italy last year where there was
a hole in the wall and a beam of light shined on a religious relic inside the
church at a certain time on a certain date.

  In this case of the odd stained glass structure in Venice, the entire round
roof made of stained glass might cast its image centered on the circular floor
at a certain date and time.  So maybe it could be a "Moment Dial".  I guess
you're right that it isn't a true projection dial like the ones you and Fred
came up with.

  Heck- it's probably just some sculpture that a crazed artist dreamed up!

  John