The BSS Glossary (courtesy of John Davis) says:

The word analemma has had several other meanings in the history of astronomy
and dialling. In the first century BC, the Roman engineer Vitruvius used the
word to refer to a graphical construction, equivalent to today's orthographic
projection. In the second century AD Ptolemy used analemma to mean an
instrument acting as a nomograph for defining the angles of a dial. The use of
a modern analemma on a dial dates to around 1640, and the first treatment in
English was by Samuel Foster in 1654.

Does this help?

Patrick