Dear Richard and Jack,

You are both, of course, right on all counts...

> If I had a clock worth £60,000 and a replica
> worth £500 I would take more care of the more
> expensive original, wouldn't you?

I am in the fortunate position of being the
University Clock-Keeper and I do indeed take
great care of "my" clock (whose value is of
the order you quote).

Fortunately most of the clock is indoors and
is almost inaccessible.  Anyone can look at
the outside (the face and hands) which are as
they were in 1679.  [I have had them regilded
once in 30 years.]

If I were the custodian of a valuable sundial
I would feel obliged to use a replica but I
have misgivings...

I suspect I shall be a lone voice here but,
to me, the essential magic of a sundial is
the way it comes to life when the sun shines
on it.  Sundials in glass cases are dead,
even if they are of huge historical interest.

What can be done?

Let's ponder Jack's point...

> Such a shame that we cannot have sundials
> inside.

> What we need is for somebody to develop a
> motor-driven, geared apparatus that will
> move an electric through a path that picks
> up all the relevant celestial motions.

No need for such complexity!

A really simple approach requires curators of
museums which contain sundials to appreciate
that all the usual rules about lighting exhibits
should be cast aside.

Instead, most sundials should simply be lit
by a single bright light which should be a
near-point-source.  Hmmm!  At the dial, the
source should subtend an angle of about half
a degree!

The next level of complexity is to have the
light on some kind of track so that visitors
can steer it around.

When Jim Bennett was curator of the Whipple
Museum in Cambridge (which is adjacent to
where I work) I mentioned all this when he
laid on a special sundial exhibition which
lasted a few months.

He set up a giant letter C whose two horns
were aligned on a polar axis and could pivot.
A sundial was placed half-way between the
horns.

A light was attached to the rim of the C and
you could swing the entire C round the polar
axis to simulate about 18 hours.

The light could be moved to different points
on the rim of the C so you could simulate
different declinations.  Of course, the light
could sometimes be below the horizon.

I have never seen this anywhere else but if
you have to have sundials in museums this is
the kind of thing that appeals to me!

Sadly, I recognise that some colourings fade
even in artificial light and sundials which
suffer such sensitivity must, alas, remain
in darkness.

Frank King