On Wed, November 25, 2009 8:00 am, J. Tallman wrote:

>> Such a shame that we cannot have sundials inside.
>>
>> What we need is for somebody to develop a motor-driven, geared
apparatus that will move an electric through a path that picks up all
the relevant celestial motions.

> We CAN have sundials indoors, and it doesn't take gears and motors!
>
> Search Google for "indoor sundials" or have a look at the Spectra
sundial here:

> http://www.artisanindustrials.com/spectra.html
>
> You can follow the link at the bottom of the page to see a gallery of
Spectra dials "in the wild" - and they all live indoors...

That is just fantastic!  I love those images...

I've been kicking around something a bit different - a computer
screensaver tyope of application that shows a sundial with the current
time.  The twist is that this is for a mobile application, so the
"sundial" image would have to change based on GPS coordinates.

I haven't take this beyond the thought experiment stage, though.

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.