The space-holder site seems to be safe, for what that's worth.
I think Fabio hit it on the head, with the domain registration expiring.
Looks like it was successfully re-registered, so once the DNS information
is passed through the system, it should return to accessability.
Unfortunately, the IP address in the WhoIs record ( 69.64.155.127 ) is
still dead, leading to "searchalligator", another fall-back page.

Dave

> I tested the link http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/ on both Mozilla Firefox
and
> Internet Explorer after deleting the browsing history caches of both,
and
> that stupid lawn website keeps coming up.  Note that on that website,
there
> is no way to contact the owners or the webmaster of that site!
>
> Note to Dave Bell: Hey Dave, since you know more about webmastering than
most of us, could you look at this bogus website and see if there is
anything odd about it (a virus maybe?).  Could somebody have hijacked the
> BSS site?  Who holds the domain name registration?

On
> Behalf Of Andrew James
> Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:56 AM
> To: sund...@rrz.uni-koeln.de
> Subject: BSS web site
>
> Dear all
>
> I thought the British Sundial Society web site was at
> http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/ - but it seems to have been hijacked to
sell lawnmowers and such like!

> What is going on?
>
> Andrew James
>

> PRI Limited,
> PRI House, Moorside Road
> Winchester, Hampshire
> SO23 7RX United Kingdom
> Tel:  +44 (0) 1962 840048
> Fax: +44 (0) 1962 841046
> www.pri.co.uk
> PRI Limited is a company registered in England and Wales with company
number
> 2199653
>                                    Measure - Inform - Empower
>
> This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended
recipient(s).If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If
you