Greetings, fellow dialists,
I first read about the Antikythera Mechanism in Time in Antiquity, a
book by Robert Hannah which was reviewed in the Bulletin of the British
Sundial Society Vol. 21, 2009. I now repeat Frank King's earlier signal
that a very good and up-to-date account of this instrument appears in
Scientific American for December. Frank got hold of a copy of this issue
long before it appeared on the stands of the newsagent, W. H. Smith in
the UK, where it arrived only a few days ago. This amazing instrument,
brought up from the sea bed in 1900 has epicyclic gearing, a device 1500
years ahead of its time. There are gear trains for the current date, for
the Metonic cycle, for the Saros cycle and for the moon's motion. Want
to know the date of the next solar eclipse? Just turn the crank.
Frank 55N 1W