Dear Edley,
For a bifilar dial with 15 degree equal angle hourly separation on any
arbitrary surface anywhere in the world, calculation of the positions and
heights of the two filaments is very easy.

Start by imagining that you're planning a conventional dial with a polar
gnomon. Knowing the latitude, dial surface inclination and declination,
calculate the substyle angle and style height.

Some readers may like me to explain those terms: assuming the gnomon to be a
triangle in a plane at right angles to the dial surface, the substyle angle is
the angle on the dial surface between the foot of the gnomon and the vertical
(or the steepest line if the dial isn't vertical) and the style height is the
angle in the triangle between the foot of the gnomon and the style edge. All
the equations you need are on the Formulae page of the BSS Web site
(www.sundialsoc.org.uk). Or, for a vertical dial you can use the incredible
Samuel Foster nomogram that Fred Sawyer presented to the BSS Conference (and, I
believe the NASS Conference) a few years ago, since all the equations you need
are of the form sin(a)=tan(b)/tan(c).

Now, to convert from the polar gnomon to a bifilar is remarkably simple.
Imagine that the (imaginary) polar gnomon has a nodus point on it, at a height
chosen to give a balance between being so low that you lose accuracy and so
high that its shadow moves off the dial too quickly.

Your two actual bifilar filaments need to be:
1. Parallel to the dial, at right angles to the imaginary polar gnomon, passing
through the imaginary nodus.
2. Parallel to the dial, in the plane of the imaginary polar gnomon, at a
distance from the dial exactly equal to the distance from the centre of the
dial to the imaginary nodus. (Suppose, for instance, that the calculated style
height is 30 degrees, the imaginary nodus chosen to be 10cm along the style
edge from the centre of the dial, then filament 1 will be 5cm from the dial (
10.sin(30) ) and 8.66cm offset from the centre ( 10.cos(30) ). Filament 2 will
be 10cm from the dial and pass directly over the centre. The two filaments are
at right angles to one another.

That's it. The only tricky bit (as with any nodus) is choosing how high to make
the filaments to balance accuracy against longevity, bearing in mind that the
extra height of filament 2 makes its shadow move faster - twice as fast in my
example - than that of the imaginary nodus.

To install the dial, note that you know the angle between the imaginary gnomon
and the vertical or steepest line on the dial surface. Filament 2 and its
supports are in the plane of the imaginary gnomon, so can be used to orientate
the dial correctly. A horizontal dial is installed with filament 2 due
north-south.
The time the dial should show directly under filament 2 is the same as the time
a polar gnomon would show along the same line. That's easily calculated, even
for a declining, reclining dial. Note that a vertical declining bifilar dial
does not have 12 o'clock vertical.

As with a conventional dial in the same plane, the hour lines go clockwise or
anticlockwise depending on whether the dial is visible from the north or south
celestial pole. For a polar dial (dial plane at right angles to the equator)
the style height is zero, so filament 1 grazes the dial. You can decide whether
to use a clockwise dial with filament 1 north of the centre, or an
anticlockwise dial with filament 1 to the south.

Because the hour lines are evenly spaced, the dial can be made to pivot about
its centre (keeping the filaments fixed) to allow daily adjustment to show mean
time, zone time, daylight saving time,....

 I hope this helps

Happy New Year
Chris Lusby Taylor

51.4N 1.3W