Hi Brent,

It is only a coincidence that the full moon/ lunar
opposition happened so close to the equinox this year, AD 2010. It could
 happen any of the 14.5 days around the equinox, so roughly September 5
to October 5.

Last year the closest lunar opposition to the equinox was October 2 (or 3
depending on where you live).

Ross