Good morning Bill,

The compass is a Burt Astronomical Compass invented by William Austin Burt in
1855 or thereabouts.

Burt described its function and use in some detail.

Burt, William A. (1881) A key to the solar compass, and surveyor's companion;
comprising all the rules necessary for use in the field. Also, description of
the linear surveys, and public land system of the United States; notes on the
barometer, suggestions for an outfit for a survey of four months, etc., etc.
New York, D. Van Nostrand. 5th edition. (Facsimile reprint by Carben Surveying
Reprints)

There is also some more information in his biography

Burt, John S. 1985 They left their mark. William Austin Burt and his sons,
surveyors of the public domain. Landmark Enterprises, Rancho Cordova.

The "Key to the solar compass" is available as a free download from Internet
Archive (a wonderful source of all sorts of old books and journals). Different
editions are at the following URLs

 http://www.archive.org/details/keytosolarcompas00burtrich

http://www.archive.org/details/akeytosolarcomp00burtgoog

http://www.archive.org/details/akeytosolarcomp01burtgoog

Cheers, John

John Pickard
john.pick...@bigpond.com

In cold, overcast and rainy Sydney. Where has spring gone?