I learned from a book (in teory) how to make an altitude ring sundial. 'Tis
different from the equatorial ring, as it is devised specially for one
certain latitude. My problem is that I can't manually lay out the
hour/declination lines (to be transfered to the inner face of the ring) with
the precision I want, my protractor has only 1 degree divisions, furthermore
it is too much laborious to find the lines with pencil, eraser, protractor
and compass. That's why I love equations and softwares, but it is very hard
to find them for the altitude ring.

Methinks it is somewhat like the shepherd's dial, except for 'tis an
horizontal cylinder rather than a vertical one. Can I use the diagram of the
shepherd's dial? But then, what would be the "length of gnomon"?

How can I calculate the diagram? I mean, it seems for me that the diagram is
essentially the same despite the latitude, that its dimensions depend only
from the ring's radius and width, and that the specification of the latitude
is determined by the orifice in the ring in relation to the diagram and the
point of suspension.

Here's a picture of a ring nearly identical to that I wanna make (mine
hasn't a movable circle with the hole, it's constituted of but one ring):
http://tiny.cc/h9tty

Here is a link to a sketch I made that I hope will make clear my problem:
tiny.cc/9dtgi

Please be indulgent with my poor English.

Thanks for your time!

Marcelo Manilio