Good idea Tony!

I have a few of these little magnets that I bought at Ace Hardware.  They
are round, 1 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.  Two of them work very
well together through a standard piece of glass that is 1/8" thick.  I'm
sure you can find larger disk magnets- square ones too.  Mine are cheap
magnets.  There might be even stronger ones available somewhere.

But since glass is slippery, they can easily slide around on the glass (a
big no no for gnomons!).  But there is a solution.  You can keep the magnets
from sliding around by restricting their movement with a border around the
outside one that's on the bottom of the gnomon.  It could be the lead came
of a soldered window or a ring of something (a little curved rod) glued to
the window.  This will keep the gnomon in the exact proper position.

For extra protection, the bottom of the magnets could have a thin piece of
rubber glued on.  This would prevent the metal magnet from actually touching
the glass with a rubber cushion.  So if somebody hits the gnomon hard, the
metal magnet won't damage the glass.

Larry- if you make one of these magnet gnomons for your window dial, will
you please photograph it for us to see?

John