Hello again;

If we could get rid of hours and minutes and seconds as well as the 360 degree circle I would also get rid of the math we use to measure round things.

I am a house designer and I noticed that a larger house is cheaper to build per square foot than a similar shaped smaller house. This is because the exterior walls are one of the most expensive parts of the house.

For example:
A 10' x 10' house has 100 sq.ft.
It has 40 linear feet of exterior wall.
If 1 linear foot of wall cost $10, the exterior walls would cost $400 or $4 a square foot of floor space.

vs:
A 100' x 100' house has 10,000 sq.ft.
It has 400 linear feet of exterior wall.
1 linear foot costs $10, the exterior walls would cost $4,000 or 40 cents a square foot of floor space.

I noticed further that different shapes are more efficient than others if you look at exterior walls vs. floor space.

For example:

A square house 100' x 100' has 400' of exterior wall and captures 10,000 sq.ft. of floor area.

vs:
A rectangular house 150' x 50' has the same 400' of exterior wall but captures only 7,500 sq.ft. of floor area.

It turns out the circle is the most efficient shape as its' exterior wall captures the most floor space.

To reduce it to basics, a one inch square captures 1 square inch with a perimeter of 4 inches. A circle with the same perimeter/circumference of 4 inches captures 1.27 square inches, the ideal line efficiency.

I also noticed that the number 1.27 is useful to calculate areas of circles without using Pi. Simply take any circumference and divide it by 4 and then square the result, essentially turning the circle into a square. Next, simply multiply that square area by 1.27 for the area of the circle without using Pi.

The problem with 1.27 is I had to calculate that using Pi, so it is also one of those never ending numbers like Pi. It can be calculated by dividing 4 by Pi = 1.27323954473516...etc.

I'm not very comfortable with this number. The reason is a round house has an exact floor area but I can never calculate it. I always get an approximate answer that I have to round off.

The problem here seems to be our math system is not very good for calculating round things. Our system works great for counting things; 12 dinosaurs, 3 eggs, 22 shells and great for measuring the area of things that are enclosed with straight lines but totally lacking when it comes to measuring curves or the area of round things.

That's why I propose a new round math for doing this.
I would start with a circle with a circumference of 4" and call the area of that circle 1 "round" inch instead of 1 square inch.

Now to do the area math on a few circles I would just divide the circumference by 4 and square the result for an answer in "round" inches:

circle #1: circumference = 12"
12/4 = 3
3x3 = 9 round inches

circle #2: circumference = 20"
20/4 = 5
5x5 = 25 round inches

Now I can add them together easily:
25 + 9 = 34 round inches

or any other math functions and will get results in "round" numbers. You can now easily calculate round areas "exactly".

If you then want to convert the round numbers back to square numbers for some reason, simply multiply by my 1.27323954473

I would think it would be useful in calculating huge round things like the orbits of planets where even a small error can have big consequences. By calculating "round" numbers you will get "exact" results.

And besides that, it would be simple to measure round things without using clumsy Pi, that never gives you the right answer anyway.

brent