The Australian national flag does not show a sundial but it is of astronomical
interest as a stellar flag. It shows the Southern Cross and another star to the
lower left. When visiting Australia, I would often ask about this single star
on the left. Everyone knew about the Southern Cross but not this bright star.
Most told me it was the Confederation star, with seven points to represent the
six original states in Australia and the territories. This is what they are
taught in school. Nobody I asked knew the significance of the real star
depicted on the flag, Alpha Centauri, the multiple star closest to earth, 4.37
light years away.

Look up! The stars are real with individual characteristics, histories and
personalities. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Centauri, The sun is not
the centre of the universe.

Regards, Roger Bailey